Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Rose Colored Memories

We all get curious about those people in our past with whom we've lost touch.  That's the beautiful thing about social networking sites, we can find them.  We can feed our curiosity by seeing what the people of our past are doing now . . . who they are now . . .  I'll admit it - no one is exempt from this curiosity.

So, I facebook stalked my ex-boyfriend the other day - my first ex-boyfriend.  He didn't make his page nearly as private as I did mine, so I could see that he is married with children and gainfully employed.  Good for him.  What struck me, however, is how much different he seemed from the person I remember.  I remember tall, dark, and handsome.  I remember him being funny, but also having a certain sadness.  And now . . . he's quite pudgy and not nearly so handsome as I remember, but based on his wall posts, I must say he seems as good natured as always.  And, perhaps that is the rose coloring of my memories.  Maybe he was never as good looking as I remember.  Maybe I just saw him as so, because I was so in love . . .  And, maybe he looks so ordinary today, because he truly is just another person in the world that I happen to remember, and my love is placed elsewhere . . .

Maybe some memories just need to be left in the past . . . in their rose colored glow, for to dust them off today and look at them again . . . they just seem so small . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment