Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day to Me . . .

This is my first Mother's Day as a single mom, and I confess to feeling a bit sorry for myself as the day approached.  After all, no one was going to remember to do anything special for me this year . . .  Then I arrived home Thursday to find a card from my best friend of 20 years in the mailbox.  I almost started crying, and felt a little foolish!  LOL

And then this morning, I realized, that today, Mother's Day, while a wonderful day to honor our mothers, is not the day that tells the tale of me as a mother . . .  No, my amazing little boy, while we do have our challenges, does special things to show me how special I am every day.  

  • Weekend morning snuggles - His sweet voice as he enters my room, lit by early morning light, "Mama.  I want to snuggle you."
  • Gifts from the outdoors - He waits patiently by the door while calling to me from outside, "Mama.  Come.  Come!  I have something for you!"  My gift is usually a stick, as large as he is, or a rock.  :-)  Such is the sweetness from a little boy's heart!
  • Time - He drags some long forgotten book or toy from his room.  He just wants me to read to him, or play with him.  Just us.  No TV.  No phone.  No computer.  He just wants me.
  • Healing - He stubs his toe, or bumps his head.  He's such an energetic little boy, this is not uncommon.  And as I soothe his tears, he asks for a kiss, or for a song, "Sing 'Rocky Baby', Mama."  Such simple things with the power to heal . . .
  • Energetic hugs/kisses - There is nothing quite like those hugs that sqeeze me tight or come with a near take down as he sees me at the end of the day.  And, we can't forget the kiss after kiss mornings, when my cheek is left wet with enthusiasm!  :-)  Or, the sweetness of the night, when after tucking him in to bed and sitting back down in my recliner, I heard the patter of little feet in the hall, followed by my sweet boy by my side.  "I forgot to kiss you, Mama," followed by the deposit of one sweet gentle kiss on my cheek, and a sweet voice, "Goodnight, Mama," and footsteps back down the hall to his room.
  • Praise - When he decides to be super sweet, my baby sings my praises.  He tells me I'm beautiful.  He tells me I'm awesome.  He tells me I'm his best friend.  He tells me, "I love you 'dis much," while streching his arms to infinity, and he tells me, "I love you first" and "I love you more."
  • Night time snuggles - And no matter what the day, he always wants those night time snuggles.  The ones where his head is tucked under my chin, my nose is buried in his hair, and I breath him in.  And, there is no sweeter smell . . .
So, today I've tried not to focus so much on what my son doesn't know to say, "Happy Mother's Day."  I've tried to focus on what he tells me every day instead . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment