Friday, June 18, 2010

Breastfeeding - The Fallout

It seems my last post had quite an impact, and not in the way I intended.  I have this blog setup so anyone can post a response, and yet only two responses were posted.  How many phone calls did my siblings get concerning their lack of support for me?  I don't know, but apparently enough.  Let me take this opportunity to make a few things abundantly clear.

I love my family.  This last post was in no way meant to criticize or hurt them.  It was not meant to cast the blame on my decision to wean on them.  I will wean when the time is right for my son and I, and not before.  It was meant as a commentary on the society we live in, and the social norms that constrain us.  My siblings are amazing people and amazing parents.  All you have to do is be around my nieces to know what a phenomenal job they are doing.  Apparently some of you want to know why they are against breastfeeding.  I have no idea how that interpretation came out of my previous blog.  They pull their children away because their children are confused, and thus have a multitude of questions concerning the differences in infant feeding choices.  And, as is apt to happen in young children, answering the question one time isn't sufficient.  They pull them away in an effort to reduce the questions, thus making life a little easier on themselves.  Seriously, can you blame them?  When was the last time you tried to reason with a young child?  Are they any more confused by this, than any other lifestyle choice?  I doubt it, but if you could remove the source of 20 questions, wouldn't you opt for a little peace? 

It is societal pressures I am addressing.  After all, if breastfeed were more socially prevalent, then I wouldn't be an oddity, and they'd probably have less questions, because it would seem more normal to them.  If I were simply trying to question societal pressures, why did I involve those I love?  It was quite innocent, I assure you.  We write about those things we know, and those experiences we have, and those experiences include the people we love.

So, please, do not take this as a criticism of my siblings parenting styles/choices, but more as a commentary on the society we live in, and the constraints and pressures it places on everyone.  And if you have thoughts, please respond to me before jumping to conclusions.

I have to be honest, I was unaware my blog was so widely read.  After this, I don't know if I should be flattered or afraid!

To my siblings, and family.  I love you, and I apologize for any negative fallout this has caused you.  I would never want to cause you any undue hardship or stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment