Thursday, June 17, 2010

Breastfeeding - The Social Stigma

Before my son was born, I had already decided that if at all possible, I would breastfeed him.  I must admit that initially a large part of this decision was based on the cost savings, $1,160 to $3,915 per year, depending on the brand of formula purchased.  As I learned more about the benefits, however, I realized that even outside of the cost savings, I was completely sold on this feeding choice for my child.  Along with providing numerous health benefits for both mother and child, breastfeeding also saves on health care costs, contributes to a more productive workforce, and is better for the environment. Plus, plus, and plus . . . right?  So what's the downside to breastfeeding?  Social stigma.

Why is society so set against a mother feeding and nurturing her child in the way God designed her?  Am I for a woman exposing herself to the public in the name of breastfeeding?  No.  But, if a woman chooses to breastfeed her child in a discreet manner, why is this taboo?  Every mother should feed her child in a manner that is positive and right for her family and lifestyle, and if that's a bottle and formula for you that's OK, but for me, the only right choice was breastfeeding.

I'm currently being strongly encouraged by my own family to wean Aaron.  It doesn't matter that the World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding for at least 2 years, or that the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding for at least 1 year, "and as long thereafter as mutually desired . . ."  Aaron is just under 18 months, and the pressure is on to wean.  Honestly, though Aaron isn't keen on the idea, mommy is ready to have her body back, so weaning is on the horizon, but I don't like being pressured for all the wrong reasons to wean my child.  And why is the pressure on?  At least in part due to my nieces.

I have two bright, intelligent nieces, who have witnessed my breastfeeding Aaron.  Never has my chest been bared in doing this.  Never have I been lewd in my manner of feeding him, and yet, their parents now request they leave the room when I'm breastfeeding.  Why?  Because they began imitating life.  They began "nursing" their "babies."  They have been discouraged from this.  Why?  Why are we teaching our little girls that this is unacceptable play?  Why is it not OK for our little girls to imitate nursing, but it is completely acceptable for them to "bottle feed" their "babies"?  It's no wonder so many young mothers simply don't feel comfortable breastfeeding . . .  We're starting them off quite young with the understanding that it simply isn't acceptable.  And honestly, I find this unacceptable.

http://www.womenshealth.gov/breastfeeding/benefits/
http://www.kellymom.com/

6 comments:

  1. I agree 100%!! I breastfed both my girls and wouldn't change my choice for anything. Not only was it cost effective (although this was not a driving force), it was a major bonding experience, provided amazing health benefits for both mommy and baby, and well, was completely natural. My oldest daughter, Emily, was 21 months when Olivia (my youngest) was born. I never made it a secret of what I was doing and why. It was completely natural to her. Even though Olivia is now weaned, Emily (now 3) still thinks that the breast is "feed babies". She will "nurse" her "babies" when they're "hungry". I think it's sweet and wonderful and have not discouraged that at all. Unfortunately, I know that will change when she enters school and is made to feel that it is unnatural and obscene to feed your babies this way. Even my own mother was disturbed at seeing Emily play that way. She just felt it was "wrong". Couldn't explain why, just that it made her comfortable. *sigh* For every 3 steps forward breastfeeding makes, it seems 2 steps are taken backwards. To quote you..."I find this unacceptable."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand why ppl are offended or uncomfortable by little girls pretendin' to nurse their dolls. They don't have a problem with them pretendin' to feed or diaper them. This is a natural thing ppl! If maybe you are afraid your dughter will get in a public place and whip out a boob then maybe you should show her how to keep covered. Show her to use a small blanket or something. Adry, thhis isn't an issue that is yours to fix so don't let anyone pressure you into something just because they are uncomfortable. You do what is best for you and Aaron. I, too, "find this unacceptable." Love ya! Christina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post and I agree 100%! It's odd because even though I breast fed for almost a year, I find myself encouraging Bianca to bottle feed her babies. I guess the dolls come with bottles and I'd just feel weird whipping out a breast to show her how it's really done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Jenna.

    I totally agree, Adrianne. I'm 100% for child led weaning (well, within reason LOL), and if you feel that you want to keep nursing, then do it! People are just uncomfortable because breasts are so overly sexualized nowadays that they can't even wrap their minds around the fact that their original purpose is to feed our sweet little babies. And to me, that is sad, but that is our society for you. :/

    Give that sweet little Aaron a kiss for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting point about little girls and bottle feeding. I'd never thought about that angle. I totally agree with you, Adrianne! Things will never change if people have the mindset that nursing is something that should be hidden. We should embrace it, encourage our daughters to embrace it and so on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You may be interested in this article, about how infant feeding is portrayed in children's books: http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/books.html
    The culture of bottle feeding infiltrates everything - how many baby dolls can be purchased without a bottle? My three girls have never been fed with bottles, yet they have all played at feeding their dolls with bottles - as well as played at breastfeeding them, of course. I know breastfeeding advocates who have either removed the baby bottles from toys given to their children, or labelled the bottles EBM

    ReplyDelete