Friday, November 19, 2010

Comforting Promises of My God

For a very long time now, I've comforted myself during difficult times by reminding myself that God will not put more on me than I can bear.

I have comforted others with these words . . .

And today I find that this promise does not exist in the Bible.

Look for it . . . It's NOT there!

"There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."  1 Corinthians 10:13

In this, there is a measure of comfort . . .

But, what if it's not the temptations I'm worried about?

What if it's the tragedy . . . the personal kind, where recovery seems impossible?

What if it's the burdens . . . those that are so crushingly heavy?  The sheer weight crumbling one from the inside out . . .

And still, MY God is an awesome God.

In life, there will be mind numbing tragedies.  There will be soul crushing burdens.

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."  Romans 8:28

Every tragedy I must endure . . . every burden I must bear . . . "All things work together for good . . ."

God never promised all things would BE good, just that they would all work together for good!

And still, I must endure the tragedies, bear the burdens . . . and sometimes all my strength is gone . . .

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."  Philippians 4:13

My God is there for me every step of the way . . . just waiting for me to quit relying on myself and depend on His strength . . .

For when life throws more on me than I can handle, I have a secret weapon!

I have a friend!

I have my God!  His strength can bear any burden, and He will ALWAYS be by my side . . .

"For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."  Romans 8:38-39

1 comment:

  1. I find comfort in this verse:

    "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

    I hope that whatever you are going through right now, you find the comfort and peace that you need to see it through. (((hugs))) Let me know if you need anything! I'm here to listen.

    ReplyDelete